HISTORY OF NELSON HOMES
On March 1, 1949, brothers Ray and Austin Nelson opened a small lumberyard in Lloydminister, Alberta; they called it Nelson Lumber. Their motto was simple; "Give people-always-top quality and more for their money". Business flourished, but the brothers soon realized that people needed more than just lumber and good advice with which to build homes. Their vision was to provide a complete home building service from well crafted designs - to the manufacturing of the components and the delivery of a total package to th customer's job site.
In 1958 a separate division, Nelson Homes, was started. The convenience of the package system was well received in areas where construction labour and efficient delivery were difficult to come by.
The Nelson's reputation for quality and convenience grew. More Nelson Lumber stores were opened. A construction division handled major building projects and two roof truss factories were added to keep up with demand.
Fascination for the Nelson Homess panelized system spread to overseas markets and in 1993 Nelson shipped its first home to Japan. To keep up with widespread demand, Nelson began offering Authorized Dealership throughout North America.
THE COMPANY TODAY. . .
Nelson Homes had grown to be Canada's largest home manufacturer and a trusted leader in the industry. More than 50,000 homes, ranging in size from 300 to 14,000 square feet, as well as numerous multi-unit and commercial buildings have been produced.
The comprehensive product line-up now includes housing solutions ranging from materials packages to complete home packages. Ready-To-Move Homes, cottage packages, multi-family buildings, adult housing and care homesm as well as materials for agricultural and commercial buildings.
In 2001, Ray Nelson transfferred the ownership of the companuy to a group of a long-time employees, who continue to carry on the Nelson legacy. Their promises: continued commitment to quality craftsmanship, and integrity.